Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup

I first tried Chicken Taco Soup at a luncheon I attended a couple of years ago. I loved it! The lady who had made the food for the luncheon happened to be sitting right next to me and she shared the recipe with me. The recipe below recommends that you make it in a slow cooker. I think you can also cook it on the stove for 1-2 hours and still get a tasty soup!

I made this soup for a winter birthday party and the guests loved it! It's a great one to make when serving a large group of people! Make it in an electric roasting pan.

I follow the Chicken Taco Soup Recipe from All Recipes.com but I don't use taco seasoning. I use a combination of spices recommended in one of the comments for the recipe. I also buy a roasted chicken and shred it. I add the shredded chicken the last hour of cooking.

Here is the recipe I use:

Chicken Taco Soup
Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 can of chili beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of whole kernnel corn, drained (or 1 to 2 cups of frozen corn)
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 12 oz can of beer
1 can of Ro-Tel diced tomatoes with green chiles, mild
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 packages of taco seasoning* (SEE BELOW for a make-your-own recipe)
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or about 4 cups of meat from a roasted chicken, shredded)


*Spices to replace using taco seasoning as recommended in a comment:
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Toppings (optional):
-green onions, chopped
-Cheddar cheese, shredded
-corn tortilla chips
-sour cream


Directions
1. Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker on low and cook for 5 hours.

2. Remove chicken breasts from the soup, cool, and shred. Add to soup an cook for 2 more hours. If you don't use uncooked chicken breasts, add the cooked roasted chicken an hour before you serve the soup.

3. Serve with the optional toppings and enjoy!