Sunday, January 6, 2008

Homemade Granola

This recipe comes from a friend who made this yummy granola for us. I'd been using this recipe but this one has become our favorite!

"Dry: 4 cups oats -not quick (I regularly 1.5 or double the recipe), 1 cup wheat germ (the last batch, the one you got, had oat bran because I was out of wheat germ), 4T brown sugar, 1 cup almonds (I always add more).
Wet (bring to a boil then add to mixed dry ingredients): 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 teaspoon almond extract, 2Tablespoons water

Bake in a big turkey pan (sprayed) at 275 stirring every 15 minutes. about 45 min total maybe more if you do a big batch. at the last 15 minutes (or after) add 1 cup dried fruit and coconut flakes. I used a tropical mix fruit and cherry flavored dried cranberries. My favorite is freeze dried pineapple (the just fruit which is expensive at wild oats) and dried cherries (also not cheap).

I have just turned the oven off when I have had to pick up the kids and left it in the warm oven. Just test if it is dried out enough when you return.

(I got this from the paper and there were all different kinds of options of things to try - different nuts, flavorings, and fruits - you could get some ideas on line for what you like.)"

No comments: