Sunday, August 23, 2009

Frozen Yogurt

I found this simple recipe in a Food Network Magazine (September 2009) while Maria was in her piano lesson. I tried memorizing the recipe but, of course, I forgot it. I'm very glad I was able to find it online and tried making it tonight!

I used 4 cups of homemade yogurt (made with 2% milk not whole milk*) instead of the whole milk yogurt and Greek yogurt combo it suggests. It tastes quite yummy and I am not feeling the need to add fresh fruit toppings; it's that good! This recipe is supposed to be a copy-cat of Pinkberry yogurt, which I have never had. I have had tart-flavored yogurt at Lollicup (a local boba shop) and it tastes very similar to that one.

I'm just wondering why the recipe uses corn syrup?

*This was my first batch of yogurt where I didn't use whole milk and I used about 1/4 cup of yogurt from a previous batch. The yogurt turned out semi-thick and doesn't seem to taste as super-tart as it has been with the whole milk and culture packets.

Almost-Famous Frozen Yogurt
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
  • 2 cups plain nonfat or reduced-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar
  • 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • Fresh fruit or other toppings, for garnish

Directions:
Whisk both yogurts, the sugar and corn syrup in a bowl until combined. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

For a soft consistency, serve right out of the ice cream maker. For a firmer texture, transfer the frozen yogurt to a covered container and freeze for up to 2 hours. Serve with assorted toppings.

No comments: