I made the hot chocolate following the recipe and it was very rich and yummy too! It is not necessary to use as much chocolate and you can always use skim or 2% milk and still get a good cup of hot chocolate. Also, I made my own caramel syrup using a recipe found in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine, October 2009 issue.
Starbucks Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Copycat Recipe
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (the best you can afford)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar crystals
- 1/4 cup whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons caramel syrup, divided (recipe at the bottom of that page)
Bring the milk, sugar, and cream to a simmer. Keep it just under a boil and stir in the chocolate until melted completely.
Add one tablespoon of the caramel syrup to a warm mug and swish it to coat the inside of the mug.
Carefully pour in the chocolate. Top with whipped cream, add a drizzle of caramel, a sprinkle of the salt and a dusting of the turbinado crystals.
Enjoy the fact that while Starbucks *may* stop making this delicacy you never have to!