Saturday, May 8, 2010

Texas Caviar

I had never heard of Texas Caviar but came upon it a couple of months ago when I was shopping at Costco. It looked healthy and, most importantly, yummy. I'm pretty sure I chose to buy it because I had just had Miles and was looking for pre-made foods to feed the fam. We liked it but felt sure we could make it and make it even tastier.

The TC from Costco has jicama and the TC recipe below from Food Network doesn't but you can add it, of course. I must admit that the recipe below won't blow your socks off but it's a good start to making your own amazing Texas Caviar. Other ingredients I add are a little lime/lemon juice, only a couple of shakes of cumin, green onion, cilantro. I think tomato and corn would make this good too.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained and cooled
  • 1 cup diced yellow onion
  • 1 cup diced red onion
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir again before serving.

No comments: